AL JAZEERA AMERICA – EDITORIAL IDENTITY BRIEFING DOCUMENT – KEY POINTS
BOLD. CHALLENGING, FEARLESS
• Have courage in our journalism. Own a story. Run with it. Be bold.
• Uphold balance & integrity in everything we do. We are pro-nothing & anti-nothing.
• Dig for the truth on every story. Be devil’s advocate every time.
• Ask what the real story is. Don’t just cover it. Un-cover it.
• Tackle the conventional “wisdom”. Challenge it. Go two steps further.
• Hold power to account. Live up to being the Fourth Estate.
• Be proactive in covering marginalized or neglected stories and people.
• Follow up and follow through on stories.
• Everything we do represents our audiences. Journalism is a public interest.
ORIGINAL JOURNALISM – WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON?
• Rely on our own journalism. Rely on our own journalists in the field.
• Don’t follow the media “consensus” on a story - conduct our own journalism.
• Find the real story that passes you by. Get to the story beyond others’ narrative.
• Be proud of our own stories, the news lines we own. Be bold in their presentation.
• Apply journalism to every story we do –News, enterprise, Programs, & Social.
JOURNALISM OF DEPTH
• Cover the story properly – don’t just scratch the surface. Give the full story.
• Make sure to consider and challenge all relevant sides to a story before reporting it.
• If time is needed, if context is needed, if historical info is needed: give it.
• Stick with the story. It doesn’t end when coverage ends. Return to it if appropriate.
TRULY REPRESENTATIVE STORY TELLING
• Cover & tell global stories from - and to - a diverse, unique, and varied nation.
• Reflect this diversity in everything we do. The stories we chose & how we tell them.
• Get to the voices of those people who reflect the rich diversity of this country.
• It is so often those most marginalized who have strong stories to tell.
• Shine a light in the shadows. But don’t switch it off elsewhere.
HEAR THE HUMAN STORY
• Cover the people affected by stories, as well as the powerful making decisions.
• Let relevant voices be heard, even if others are not listening to them.
• Have courage in covering the unreported world, and voices often not heard.
• Connect directly with the people involved in, or affected by events.
• Hear and tell the human story that is at the center events we report.
RESPONSIBLE, COMPELLING, ENGAGING
• Be honest with our audiences. Honor the trust we are given.
• Engage and connect with our audiences, and with the people we cover.
• Tell stories that people care about, and tell them in a way that is engaging.
• Respect those we cover, and our audiences.
• Be first with stories, but always correct. Never sacrifice accuracy for speed.
• Cover all genres of news and current affairs that have substance.
• We are credible, trusted, and reliable, with a responsibility to uphold integrity.